Abraham Lincoln: You cannot escape the responsibility of tomorrow by evading it today.
Williams Howard Taft: Too many people don't care what happens so long as it doesn't happen to them.
To be responsible is to do the things that need to be done. It's a person who is reliable, dependable, and does not blame others for their actions. The habit of blaming others greatly hinders people from meeting their responsibilities, (cause and effect). We want freedom to make our own decisions, however, it is not always clear to us that decisions carry consequences. This is a character trait that is a process and evolves; when people are able to meet their responsibilities, they feel proud of themselves and have a feeling of satisfaction.
Clifford the Small Red Puppy, by Norman Birdwell; Younger
Art; Clifford's Bones
Scroll to the bottom of Responsibility and copy the dog house on colored paper. Print out bones. Cut out and glue on a background piece of construction paper. For grass cut a strip of green paper and make cuts on the strip 3/4 the way down and glue on the background page.
Chicken Soup for the Soul
When Shaq was young, he often went along with the crowd. His father told him, "Be a leader Shaq, not a follower. Since people already have to look up to you, give them a good reason to do so." Mr. O'Neal shows responsibility by trying his best to follow his father's advice.
(story can be found at http://www.thylacineslair.com/Reflections/ReasonToLookUp.htm)
1. Brainstorm responsible behavior. The next day call roll and have children answer: I am responsible when I...
2. Is it the responsibility of an athlete to act as a role model since they are in the public eye, or should they be able to live their life as they want, even if they are being irresponsible.
What are the consequences of being irresponsible.
3. Give each child an envelope and tell them they will need the envelope at school tomorrow (you can make it for a longer period of time). It is their responsibility to keep the envelope safe and not to open the envelope. The next day tell those who have the envelope unopened, that they can now open their envelope. Inside is a note saying: Thank you for being responsible. You can have ____ minutes of free time on ___.
4. Write five things to say to yourself if you are tempted to act irresponsibly.
5. Describe something you have done that is responsible, and how you felt afterwards.
Did you learn from it?
6. Describe what society might be like if no one was accountable for their actions. What would happen if no one kept their promises or commitments.
Clifford The Small Red Puppy